Strathmore University is a leading not-for-profit private university operating in Kenya, which aims at serving the Kenyan society to the best of its ability. Specialising in commerce and information technology, Strathmore holds a peerless reputation for quality in both academic and professional education and personal formation.
Motto – “Ut omnes unum sint” is Latin which means “That all may be one”
It expresses our desire to work together towards the same aim, in spite of personal differences or opinion, tastes and backgrounds.
- 1961 as Strathmore College, an Advanced-level Sixth Form College (men only) offering Science and Arts subjects. Strathmore was Kenya’s first multiracial school.
- 1966, started offering accountancy courses from ACCA
- 1991, started offering professional computer courses, diploma and higher diploma
- 1992, started the Distance Learning Centre to offer correspondence courses in Accountancy
- 1993, Strathmore College merged with Kianda College and moved to the present campus (an institution founded in 1961 for women)
- 2002, the Commission of Higher Education awarded Strathmore College a Letter of Interim Authority to operate as Strathmore University.
- 2008, Strathmore is awarded a Charter by the Government of Kenya giving it full legal recognition to operate as a University.
It is owned by Strathmore Educational Trust (SET), a non-profit body corporate with perpetual succession, established under the Trustee (Perpetual Succession) Act.
- Accreditation – Commission of Higher Education issued a Letter of Interim Authority
- First educational institution in Kenya to be awarded the ISO 9001:2000 certification on Quality Management
- Located in Madaraka Estate off Lang’ata road, 5km from Nairobi city centre.
- Total number of students: 4,393
- Post-graduate: 96
- Professional : 1,856
- Diploma: 313
- Distance learning: 935
Mode of study
- Full-time: 1,667
- Part-time: 2,726
Faculties, Institutes and Schools
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Information Technology
- School of Accountancy
- School of Administration & Management
- Institute of Humanities Education and Development Studies
- Institute of Continuing Education
- Distance Learning Centre
- Strathmore Business School
- EABL Strathmore Scholarships
- European Union (EU)Scholarship Fund
- Strathmore University Scholarships
- Martyn Drakard Scholarship
- Sports Scholarship
- Private Individual Scholarships
- Clubs: Drama Society, AIESEC, SIFE
- Sports: Football, basketball, hockey, karate, rugby, aerobics 2 indoor games
- The basketball team won the 2005 Nairobi Basketball Association League (for universities and colleges)
- 208 Academic, 150 administrative and 64 support
- 246 Full-time & 176 part-time
- The Madaraka campus is 40 acres in size
- 10 Buildings
- 26 Classrooms
- 8 Computer laboratories
- 2 Libraries
- 1 Auditorium
- 3 Sports fields
- Number of books = 30,000
- Periodical subscriptions = 10
Over 30,000 past students of Strathmore College, Kianda College and the University Have taken a multitude of responsibilities in independent Kenya: in senior positions in government and many private sector organizations are expected to create jobs through the entrepreneurial atmosphere learned at the institution.
- Professor John Odhiambo, Vice Chancellor
- Dr Florence Oloo, Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic Affairs
- Dr Charles Sotz, University Secretary
- Mr Daniel Kiilur, Registrar (Finance)
- Ms Stella Mwangi, Registrar (Administration)
For more information about Strathmore University: